Tied to the Blazing West in-game event, Mathilda is the newest mage to be introduced to Mobile Legends: Bang Bang. The game’s 101th hero design is based on Native Americans, who carries an eagle-head staff.
Mathilda has more mobility compared to your traditional mage, and according to Moonton, can be played as a support or an assassin.
Ultimate – Circling Eagle
Mathilda applies a Soul Mark to the targeted hero and circles around the target for up to 2 seconds. During this period, wisps will rush to nearby enemies, each time dealing 40 / 45 / 50 (+10% Total Magic Power) Magic Damage.
After casting this skill or reaching the time limit, she will rush to the target, knocking back enemies on the path, stunning them for 0.6 seconds, and dealing 320 / 360 / 400 (+120% Total Magic Power) Magic Damage.
Mathilda gains Control Immunity and 600 (+160% Total Magic Power) Shield during her circling.
- Her unique ultimate literally imitates a circling eagle in the sky. You’ll require at least one enemy hero to activate it.
- There are three parts to her ultimate. Firstly, it does continual damage for the duration she circles. Next, Mathilda herself will have increased defenses thanks to Control Immunity and a shield. Lastly, you can activate this skill again (or if it reaches its limit) for Mathilda to rush to the target. If the target is clumped up with other enemies, Mathilda will knock back and stun them all for a short duration.
- Take note that enemies can still deal damage to Mathilda while she is in the air.
- Using her second skill, Guiding Wind, during her ultimate will allow her to stack the shields.
Passive – Ancestral Guidance
Mathilda gains Ancestral Guidance while moving. When it is fully charged, her next Basic Attack will be enhanced, dealing 150 (+100% Total Physical Attack) (+100% Total Magic Power) Magic Damage to the target and increasing her Movement Speed by 50% that will rapidly decay in 2.5 seconds.
- Mathilda’s passive will charge up as she moves, so every time you recall and walk back to lane, your Basic Attack is guaranteed to deal bonus damage. Use it to damage an enemy hero!
- Using this empowered Basic Attack also gives her bonus movement speed, which gives you an opportunity to lay down even more damage onto enemies with her other skills, or reposition after.
- To check whether your passive is charged, look at the square icon above your Battle Spell. It will range from 1 to 50 (charged), and Mathilda’s weapon will glow turquoise.
First skill – Soul Bloom
Mathilda resonates with the power of ancestors and summons wisps that surround her for 3.5 seconds. When her movement distance is increased, more and more wisps will be attracted to her, capped at 6 wisps.
After casting this skill or reaching the time limit, the power of ancestors will guide the wisps to attack nearby enemies, each time dealing 500 / 530 / 560 / 590 / 620 / 650 (+60% Total Magic Power) Magic Damage. Damage is reduced to 30% when hitting the same target.
- You have 3.5 seconds to set up Soul Bloom since it requires time to charge up. If you don’t want to, you can activate it again for at minimum, you’ll have one wisp that deals damage. To get more, you’ll need to move around the battlefield.
- To see how many wisps you’ve charged , look at the square eagle icon above your Battle Spells.
- Without your ultimate, Circling Eagle, on average you’ll be able to summon three to four wisps.
- When you activate Soul Bloom at the start of your combo, then chain it with Guiding Wind and Circling Eagle, you can hit the max six stacks.
- Because of the way this skill is designed, it’s not a targeted spell or skill shot. It attacks the nearest target — prioritizing heroes — and will spread out if there are more than one within its range.
Second skill – Guiding Wind
Mathilda creates a field surrounding her and leaps forward. Upon landing, she gains 500 / 600 / 700 / 800 / 900 / 1000 (+180% Total Magic Power) Shield and 25% Movement Speed for 4 seconds. The allied units who come in contact with this field will receive the same shield also, and Guiding Wind.
After using Guiding Wind, the hero will be guided to Mathilda, and both of them will gain the same Movement Speed.
When using this skill during Circle Eagle, Mathilda will not change her position.
The hero will lose Guiding Wind after leaving the field for 5 seconds. Mathilda will reclaim all Guiding Wind if it is used by any allied hero.
- This is a dash, so can use it to avoid incoming enemy skill shots instead of Flicker. Mathilda even gains a shield and increased movement speed thereafter.
- Guiding Wind is an AoE speed up and shield for teammates within its range. In addition, there’s an active for teammates, who can click on this skill’s icon on their screen to dash to Mathilda’s position.
- After activating Soul Bloom, use Guiding Wind to close the gap as you chase down enemies. You can use the shield to absorb a tower shot too.
Tips and tricks
Since there are two parts to two of her damaging skills — Soul Bloom and her ultimate Circling Eagle — timing is everything, and this sets apart great Mathilda players from good ones.
Even though she does have a straightforward combo that opens with Soul Bloom, into her second skill or ultimate, due to her flexible abilities, Mathilda performs best when she adapts to the situation on the battlefield. For example, sometimes you’ll need Guiding Wind to catch up to a target, but at other times, the extra shield in the midst of multiple enemies might be more beneficial. No wonder Moonton gave her a high difficulty!
Choose the Mage Emblem for Mathilda, with a focus on movement speed by putting points into Agility. From there, Observation or Catastrophe gels well with her kit, and depending on the enemy lineup, Magic Worship or Impure Rage.
Since Mathilda has inbuilt bonus movement speed and a dash in her kit, Flicker is not essential. You can choose Flameshot or Execute to finish enemies off, or Aegis for even more shields.
As she is very reliant on casting her first skill, Soul Bloom, early mana regen is important. Demon Shoes, Glowing Wand, and Holy Crystal are core items in any item build. From there, you can adapt with Necklace of Durance, or Oracle and Immortality to up your defenses. Some builds also add Ice Queen Wand for the slow so that Mathilda can better chase enemies.