Updated on October 13, 3:13 P.M. (GMT+8): Improved relevancy and title, added links relevant to guides.
Introduced during the Blazing West event in December 2020, Mathilda has become a popular hero choice among players, especially those who value speed, agility, and team utility.
|GET AHEAD OF THE COMPETITION WITH OUR COLLECTION OF MLBB GUIDES|
|Full list of Mobile Legends hero guides, counters, best build, and advanced combos|
|Full list of Mobile Legends guides: Role guides, how to rank up, terms|
Also known as the Swift Plume, she is a powerful Assassin/Support type hero with a wide range of skills including damage, dash, and team buff effects. Mathilda has more mobility compared to your traditional mage and can be played as an enabler or as a damage-dealer.
If you’re looking to understand how you can impact the game using this powerful support hero, then this ONE Esports hero guide is made precisely for you.
Mathilda’s skills in Mobile Legends: Bang Bang
Passive – Ancestral Guidance
Mathilda gains Ancestral Guidance while moving. When it is fully charged, her next Basic Attack will be enhanced, dealing Magic Damage to the target and increasing her Movement Speed by a percentage which will rapidly decay.
- Mathilda’s passive will charge up as she moves, so every time you recall and walk back to the lane, your Basic Attack is guaranteed to deal bonus damage. Use it to damage an enemy hero!
- Using this empowered Basic Attack also gives her bonus movement speed, which gives you an opportunity to lay down even more damage onto enemies with her other skills, or reposition after.
- To check whether your passive is charged, look at the square icon above your Battle Spell. It will be within a certain range, and Mathilda’s weapon will glow turquoise.
First skill – Soul Bloom
Mathilda resonates with the power of her ancestors and summons wisps that surround her for a few seconds. When her movement distance is increased, more and more wisps will be attracted to her capped a certain number of wisps.
After casting this skill or reaching the time limit, the power of ancestors will guide the wisps to attack nearby enemies, each time dealing a percentage of her Magic Power as Magic Damage. Damage is reduced to a certain percentage when hitting the same target.
- You have a few seconds to set up Soul Bloom since it requires time to charge up. If you don’t want to, you can activate it again at minimum, you’ll have one wisp that deals damage. To get more, you’ll need to move around the battlefield.
- To see how many wisps you’ve charged, look at the square eagle icon above your Battle Spells.
- When you activate Soul Bloom at the start of your combo, then chain it with Guiding Wind and Circling Eagle, you can hit the max stacks.
- Because of the way this skill is designed, it’s not a targeted spell or skill shot. It attacks the nearest target — prioritizing heroes — and will spread out if there is more than one within its range.
Second skill – Guiding Wind
Mathilda creates a field surrounding her and leaps forward. Upon landing, she gains a certain percentage of her Magic Power as Shield as well as Movement Speed for a few seconds. The allied units who come in contact with this field will receive the same shield also, and the ability to follow her path.
After tapping on Guiding Wind, the hero will go to Mathilda, and both of them will gain the same Movement Speed. Mathilda will not change her position when using this skill during Circle Eagle.
The hero will lose Guiding Wind after leaving the field for a few seconds. Mathilda will reclaim all Guiding Wind if it is used by any allied hero.
- This is a dash, so can use it to avoid incoming enemy skill shots instead of Flicker. Mathilda even gains a shield and increases movement speed thereafter.
- Guiding Wind is an AoE speed-up and gives a shield to teammates within her range. In addition, allies also gain an active skill icon that when tapped, will have them dash towards Mathilda’s position.
- After activating Soul Bloom, use Guiding Wind to close the gap as you chase down enemies. You can use the shield to absorb a tower shot too.
Ultimate – Circling Eagle
Mathilda applies a Soul Mark to the targeted hero and circles around the target. During this period, wisps will rush to nearby enemies, dealing Magic Damage each time.
After casting this skill or reaching the time limit, she will rush to the target, knocking back enemies on the path, stunning them, and dealing Magic Damage.
Mathilda gains Control Immunity and a shield during her circling.
- Her unique ultimate literally imitates a circling eagle in the sky. You’ll require at least one enemy hero to activate it.
- There are three parts to her ultimate. Firstly, it does continual damage for the duration she circles. Next, Mathilda herself will have increased defenses thanks to Control Immunity and a shield. Lastly, you can activate this skill again (or if it reaches its limit) for Mathilda to rush to the target. If the target is clumped up with other enemies, Mathilda will knock back and stun them all for a short duration.
- Using her second skill, Guiding Wind, during her ultimate will allow her to stack the shields.
A comprehensive guide on how to play Mathilda in Mobile Legends
Recommended battle spell
Even though she’s already very mobile because she has innately high movement speed and posssess Guiding Wind, the Flicker battle spell can elevate Mathilda’s initiation and survivability to another level.
You can use this to close the gap faster when chasing and engaging enemy heroes in conjunction with your dash. When caught in sticky situations, you can also take advantage of the blink spell to reposition or to back away from the fight entirely.
|LEARN HOW TO USE POWERFUL CROWD-CONTROL HEROES IN MLBB HERE|
|Mobile Legends tank Chou guide: Best build, emblems, battle spell, combos|
|Mobile Legends Khufra guide: Best build, skills, emblem, combos|
|Mobile Legends Franco guide: Best build, skills, emblem, combos|
Other than Flicker, Purify is also a good option. This is especially effective if you’re playing as the roamer of the team, and are facing crowd-control heavy lineups such as teams with a Chou or Khufra. The instant debuff will buy you time to reposition and counter-initiate with your teammates.
To maximize Mathida’s skill kit, double down on her most powerful attribute: her mobility. By doing so, you’ll be able to increase your utility and overall effectiveness on the battlefield.
Take Agility as your first-tier talent. The extra percentage Movement Speed lets you roam around the map faster in the early game, which in turn will help you initiate more effectively when helping out lanes, or back away faster when you are outnumbered.
|LEARN MORE ABOUT MLBB OBJECTIVES WITH OUR GUIDES|
|Step-by-step guide on how to secure Lord in Mobile Legends and win almost every time|
|3 pro tips on how to secure the Turtle in Mobile Legends: Bang Bang|
Continue building on your mobility by taking Wilderness Blessing. The bonus Movement Speed when you are in the jungle and river areas ensures that you can position faster than the enemy when it’s time to take down objectives.
This gives the team a significant advantage since you’ll grant them map vision, making it easy to decide the best strategy at Turtle and Lord.
Cap your emblem setup with Quantum Charge as the main talent. You’ll benefit tremendously from the HP regen and Speed up whenever you hit an enemy hero with Basic Attacks. After stunning enemies with the Circling Eagle ultimate, you’ll be able to reposition faster due to the speed buff and regain a little bit of health.
Mathilda best build
When playing Mathilda as a support, you’ll need to build around her survivability and mana regeneration in order to continue using her high-impact abilities.
Instead of the traditional Demon Shoes, go for Tough Boots as your movement speed item. Get Warrior Boots if the enemy team is composed of more Physical Damage heroes. Make sure to get the Favor blessing since it will restore the lowest HP allied hero when you activate Guiding Wind.
Get Flask of the Oasis as your first primary item to add even more utility to your skills. The effect of this piece of equipment to Mathilda is almost overpowered.
Outside of the percentage boost on your healing effects, the item’s unique passive, Blessing, allows you to cast a shield around an allied hero that can absorb a substantial amount of damage for a few seconds.
Boost your mana regeneration and reduce the cooldown of your abilities by getting Enchanted Talisman.
After getting these two magic items, proceed by reinforcing your survivability. Get Dominance Ice to boost your Physical Defense as well as your mana. It’s also effective when you’re facing high-regen heroes like Uranus, Esmeralda, or Yu Zhong.
Get Radiant Armor to reduce the impact of magic damage dealers on the enemy team. You can also opt for Athena’s Shield if the opponent’s damage dealers are burst heroes.
Complete your item build with Immortality to add a safety net. The item’s unique passive, Immortal, can buy you time to get away from the sticky situation or reengage when your team is ready.
The best build for roamer Mathilda in Mobile Legends
- Tough Boots – Favor Blessing
- Flask of the Oasis
- Enchanted Talisman
- Dominance Ice
- Radiant Armor
Easy combos to learn
Since there are two parts to two of her damaging skills — Soul Bloom and her ultimate Circling Eagle — timing is everything, and this sets apart great Mathilda players from good ones.
Even though she does have a straightforward combo that opens with Soul Bloom, into her second skill or ultimate, due to her flexible abilities, Mathilda performs best when she adapts to the situation on the battlefield.
For example, sometimes you’ll need Guiding Wind to catch up to a target, but at other times, the extra shield in the midst of multiple enemies might be more beneficial. No wonder Moonton gave her a high difficulty!