Riot Games posted an animation of a fiery glowing weapon two days ago with the caption, “Hurt someone enough, and they just might hurt you back”. Today, they revealed that this belongs to Rell, The Iron Maiden, League of Legends‘ newest support champion.
After Seraphine‘s release, with the community calling her “Sona 2.0”, League of Legends fans have started referring to Rell as Leona 2.0 as she’s a tanky engage support who packs a ton of crowd control.
Rell’s badass demeanor is a stark contrast to Seraphine’s pink-haired anime-eyed appearance. Her original splash art looks like a scene from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers as she is seen riding her mount in the middle of a dark, rainy, and grimy battlefield. The design of her fully armored horse also looks like something the Nazgûl would ride.
Using a lance that glows molten, Rell’s armor is obviously Noxian, colored in red and dark gray. The most outstanding feature is her short, puffy blonde hair that clearly requires a lot of hair spray to upkeep.
As with all new champions, the first accompanying skin release is Battle Queen Rell, which seats her in a different light. Looking like Storm from X-Men, she finds herself celebrated by the people, paired with her noble mount that wears a golden horn.
Battle Queen Rell will come with eight chromas — red, blue, green, yellow, pink, purple, turquoise, and the coolest of all, jet black.
Designed around the clinking of metal and fortification of armor, Rell pulls more than just her own weight on the Rift.
Passive – Break the Mold
- Rell attacks very slowly, but temporarily steals a portion of her target’s Armor and Magic Resist to deal bonus damage based on the amount stolen.
- Additionally, Rell can siphon resistances from multiple different foes to grow extremely tanky.
Q – Shattering Strike
- Rell stabs forward with her lance, breaking any shields and damaging all enemies hit (damage decreases after the first target).
- If Rell has an ally bound with E – Attract and Repel, she and that ally recover health for each champion hit by this ability.
W1 – Ferromancy: Crash Down
- (Can only cast while mounted) Rell leaps into the sky and transforms her mount into heavy armor, gaining a huge shield that lasts until destroyed or remounting. Upon landing, she knocks up all enemies around her.
- Rell can cast E – Attract and Repel and R – Magnet Storm during the transformation.
- Rell has increased durability, low movement speed, and a movement speed cap while in armored form. After the transformation, this ability changes to Ferromancy: Mount Up.
W2 – Ferromancy: Mount Up
- (Can only cast while in armored form) Rell rushes forward and transforms her armor into a mount, gaining a burst of movement speed. During her next attack, she charges her target to deal bonus damage and flip them over her shoulder.
- Rell has increased movement speed while mounted. After the transformation, this ability changes to Ferromancy: Crash Down.
E – Attract and Repel
- Rell magnetically binds a piece of her armor to a target allied champion, granting them bonus Armor and Magic Resist while nearby.
- Rell can recast this spell to break the bind and stun all enemies around and between her and her bound ally.
R – Magnet Storm
- Rell erupts in magnetic fury, yanking nearby enemies toward her. She then creates a gravitational field around her, pulling nearby enemies in for a few seconds.
- The field doesn’t interrupt her enemies’ other actions.
Another new champion, another unique passive. Break the Mold allows Rell to steal a portion of armor from enemies, so in a team fight, she’ll be looking to auto-attack the tankiest champion on the enemy team. If she can attack more than one tank, even better.
What’s really awesome about Shattering Strike (Q) is its power to destroy shields. In the bot lane, only Blitzcrank was given this mechanic. Besides that, she and her bound ally has the potential to recover health for each champion hit by this ability.
Ferromancy: Crash Down looks similar to Volibear’s ultimate, Stormbringer. It’s telegraphed and has a long wind up animation. However, if she manages to land it on an enemy, Rell can easily chain this ability with her E and R for a stun and yank, guaranteeing a kill.
Her remounting mechanic also has a form of crowd control. Here, she charges in with bonus movement speed and flips a target over her shoulder, like Singed.
Attract and Repel (E) functions like Taric’s Bastion, but with an added magic resist bonus. In addition, Rell can recast this to break the bind and stun all enemies around, and between her and her bound ally, which allows her to peel for her marksman.
Lastly, Magnet Storm is similar to Skarner’s ultimate, Impale, but without suppression and with much higher AoE. Acting like a gravitational field, Rell literally pulls in enemies around her in a circle with one key difference — enemies’ actions are not interrupted. Otherwise, it’ll be too OP.
Are you convinced that Rell is Leona 2.0 yet?
First of all, you should know that Rell is 16 years old. 16!
According to Riot Games, she was “born to an agent of The Black Rose and a ranking Noxian soldier” and signifies the dark side of Noxus. An unhappy child, she soon realized she possessed a rare type of magic: the ability to manipulate metal.
Seen as a weapon, she was enrolled in The Black Rose academy that pitched gifted children against each other where her mother was headmistress. There, a magic sigil was imprinted on her that only made her powers stronger.
Disagreeing with the barbaric nature of this secret organization, and the fact that Noxus stood by and did nothing, she decided to free herself and the students when she turned 16. A savoir of the meek and innocent children, Rell is now an enemy of Noxus.