Updated on August 18, 12 p.m. (GMT+8): Updated recommended emblem, battle spell, and best build, and added skill combos.
Mobile Legends: Bang Bang‘s first two-in-one hero, Popol is a marksman from Iceland who relies on his four-legged best friend, Kupa, to be effective.
If you ever wanted to know what’s it like to take care of a pet, try your hand at Popol and Kupa to discover the true meaning of companionship.
Popol and Kupa’s skills in Mobile Legends
Passive – We Are Friends
Kupa recovers a percentage of max HP per second after not taking damage for five seconds. When Kupa is killed, Popol can pray for three seconds to bring Kupa back to the battlefield.
Every three consecutive attacks from Kupa will enhance Popol’s next basic attack to deal physical damage. Kupa has 2500 max HP and inherits Popol’s other attributes and passive equipment effects (excluding jungling and roaming equipment effects).
Kupa deals an additional damage against creeps.
- Remember, as lifelong partners, Kupa is essential to Popol’s damage output. Without Kupa, Popol is less than half the marksmen he is designed to be.
- You can only control Popol; you cannot control Kupa as an individual unit. Kupa moves based on the spells you cast.
- Care for your companion! It’s important to constantly keep an eye on Kupa’s health.
- Summoning Kupa is a channel that locks you in place for three seconds, so find a safe spot to pray.
- Similar to Aurora, the indicator below your HP bar tells your number of stacked auto attacks. Use your empowered attack on an important target.
First skill – Bite ‘Em, Kupa!
Popol throws a spear at the target enemy, dealing physical damage while simultaneously commanding Kupa to lunge at the target, dealing additional physical damage. Kupa will continue to attack the target for several seconds.
Alpha Wolf Form: Kupa stuns the enemy and bites them three times in quick succession.
- This is your bread and butter, and most of the damage comes from Kupa whose base damage numbers exceeds your auto attack.
- In Alpha Wolf Form, it gets even better. With three rapid bites, he is your one true source of burst damage.
Second skill – Kupa, Help!
Popol summons Kupa back, gaining a shield while dealing physical damage to nearby enemies, and slowing them. Kupa will then assist Popol to attack nearby enemies for several seconds.
Alpha Wolf Form: Kupa darts back to Popol, knocking nearby enemies airborne for a moment. The shield and damage are increased.
- As a marksman without repositioning abilities, Kupa, Help! is your go-to spell when a melee hero or assassin jumps on you.
- Because you can’t control Kupa as a unit, you can use this skill to draw him out of battle if you want to preserve his life. Otherwise, you can also walk out of range, which will automatically cause him to run back to you.
Third skill – Popol’s Surprise
Popol sets a trap at the target location that will detonate after a short delay once triggered, dealing magic damage to the enemy that steps on it, immobilizing them, and creating a frost zone for several seconds. Enemies in the frost zone will have their movement speed reduced.
Popol gains a trap charge (up to three). Up to three traps can exist at the same time on the battlefield, each lasting up to a minute.
- This is Popol and Kupa’s most underrated ability that sets apart skilled and highly skilled players. Use it preemptively to set yourself up for success, and in the middle of team fights.
- Like Selena’s Abyssal Trap, Surprise gives vision of enemies who step on them anywhere on the map.
- A second lifesaver spell, Surprise is especially useful when Kupa perishes and you need to peel for yourself. Place one beside you if you’re running away, and one ahead of the enemy if you’re chasing for a kill.
- Always keep a trap under your turret to deter tower dives.
- Set up traps at choke points when your team is focused on an objective to prevent enemies from funneling in.
Ultimate – We Are Angry!
Popol and Kupa enter the Enraged state for several seconds, gaining extra movement speed and increasing their attack speed.
Kupa turns into Alpha Wolf Form, gaining extra max HP, fully restoring its HP, while enhancing its other skills.
- The moment you activate his ultimate, Kupa restores full HP, so maximize this by using We Are Angry! in the middle of a battle after taking some hits.
- The extra movement speed helps you kite even better, and can also be used to help you run away from sticky situations.
A comprehensive guide on how to play Popol and Kupa in Mobile Legends
Recommended battle spell
Since Popol and Kupa do not have repositioning abilities, Flicker is a good battle spell to run, especially when you’re just starting out. Use it to reposition in team fights, chase down opponents, or escape from them.
Alternatively, if the other team has a lot of spells that slow, consider choosing Sprint instead.
The Marksman emblem is the most optimal choice for Popol and Kupa, as it gives significant boosts to attack speed, adaptive attack, and lifesteal.
Pick Fatal in the first tier for extra critical chance and critical damage, then take Weapons Master in the second tier for additional physical power from emblem and equipment.
As for your core talent, select Quantum Charge. It periodically enhances your movement speed, and restores a portion of your HP when dealing damage with basic attacks, giving you sustain.
Conversely, Weakness Finder is a great alternative, as it allows you to slow down your target’s movement and attack speed.
Popol and Kupa best build
Since you are one of the main damage dealers in your team, it’s important to build up your physical power and attack speed.
Begin with Swift Boots, then buy Blade of Despair to massively boost your physical attack, and gain additional movement speed.
Purchase Demon Hunter Sword to obtain attack speed and lifesteal. Alternatively, you can opt for Windtalker for a higher attack speed bonus.
Next, invest in Great Dragon Spear for physical attack, cooldown reduction and critical chance. Additionally, it increases your movement speed when you cast your ultimate, allowing you to effectively kite or pursue opponents.
To further boost your damage output, buy Berserker’s Fury for crit damage and chance.
Complete your item build with Wind of Nature, which can give you temporary immunity to physical damage during team fights. However, if the opposing team relies on magic damage, go for Rose Gold Meteor instead.
The best build for Popol and Kupa in Mobile Legends
- Swift Boots
- Blade of Despair
- Demonter Sword
- Great Dragon Spear
- Berserker’s Fury
- Wind of Nature
Easy combos to learn
In the laning stage, apply pressure to your opponent by using Bite ‘Em, Kupa! and basic attacks. Whenever they try to narrow the gap against you, cast Kupa, Help! to gain a shield.
Set up your traps in nearby bushes to evade gank attempts from the enemy jungler or roamer.
Once you’ve reached level four, trigger We Are Angry! before engaging in fights. Follow up with Bite ‘Em, Kupa! to stun your target, and inflict substantial damage against them. Finish them off with basic attacks
Use the enhanced Kupa, Help! when enemies approach you to knock them airborne. Moreover, you can use it aggressively by using Flicker or Sprint to close in on them before casting it.
Lastly, remember to treat Kupa well. Acting like your personal support, he can tank damage from monsters, including Lord, so that you can down them easily while taking minimal damage. What a good boy!