If you’re jumping onto the Pokemon Unite hype train like, then you’ve probably read or heard someone use a word or term you’ve never heard before.
Here is a list of all the terminology you need to know so that you can better understand what your teammates are saying.
A glance at words and terms used in Pokemon Unite
|AFK||Away from keyboard|
|AOE||Area of effect|
|Backdoor||Scoring points without being noticed|
|Battle Item||Items with active skills|
|Bees||Vespiquen and Combee spawns|
|Boufflant||Wild Bull Pokemon|
|Buff/Debuff||Lingering positive/negative effects|
|Burst||High damage output|
|Cooldown||A move’s recharge time|
|Drednaw||Wild giant turtle Pokemon|
|Farming||Earning experience and/or points|
|Feed||Needlessly dying back-to-back|
|Gank||Flanking for knock out|
|Harass||Doing damage to push away from something|
|Held Item||Items with passive effects|
|Lane||Path from either base|
|Ludicolo||Wild piñata Pokemon|
|Push||Rushing a goal|
|Roam||Moving around the map looking for knock outs|
|Rotom||Wild electricity Pokemon|
|Snipe||High damage onto single Pokemon|
|Squishy||Low health and defence|
|Tank||High health and defence|
|Zapdos||Wild lightning bird Pokemon|
Every word and term explained in Pokemon Unite
- Short for away-from-keyboard, describes someone who is idling in game.
- A class of Pokemon that can fill multiple roles due to their versatile movesets and balanced stats.
- Short for area-of-effect, describes skills or moves that hit multiple targets.
- A class of Pokemon who specialize in ranged offense.
- Generally used to describe a player being able to score a goal without being detected.
- An equipable item that gives its holder an extra active skill to use.
- X Attack is a battle item that boosts the user’s Attack for a short time when activated.
- A quick way to mention the Vespiquen and Combee swarm.
- A bull Pokemon with an afro that spawn in front of both team’s bases.
- Buff – Describes any positive lingering effects like an attack boost.
- Debuff – Describes any negative lingering effects like defence reduction.
- A large sudden output of damage.
- A cheap tactic meant to catch people off guard.
- The recharge time after a move has been used.
- Short for crowd control, used to describe stuns and slows.
- A class of Pokemon with naturally high health and defensive stats whose job is to take damage for the team and disrupt the enemy.
- A giant turtle Pokemon that spawns at the bottom of Pokemon Unite’s Remoat map.
- When a player focuses on knocking out wild Pokemon for experience, points, or both.
- When a player is knocked out repeatedly in a short period of time.
- Describes when a player attempts to knock the opponent out by flanking from behind.
- Dishing out damage with the intent of pushing the opponent away from something.
- An equipable item that provides passive bonuses to the user in the form of stats and effects.
- Choice Specs is a held item that gives a small Sp.Atk boost and increases the power of moves when they hit enemy Pokemon.
- An alternative name for the central area in Pokemon Unite.
- A tactic used by ranged Pokemon where they attack while moving to avoid taking damage from melee Pokemon.
- Short for knock out.
- Used to describe one of the two paths that lead from one side of the map to the other.
- A duck-like piñata Pokemon that spawn in front of both team’s bases
- A word used to describe things or actions that can lead to victory.
- Goals, Zapdos, Drednaw, and Rotom are all considered objectives.
- When a team or player rushes down a lane to take out a goal.
- Moving around the map with the intent of knocking out a Pokemon.
- A Pokemon that symbolized electricity which spawns at the top of the Pokemon Unite Remoat map.
- A large sudden output of damage focused at one target.
A class of Pokemon that specialize in offense and agility who can quickly move around the map to score points or knock outs.
- Used to describe Pokemon with naturally low health and defence stats.
- A class of Pokemon who specialize in supporting their allies with moves that can heal, provide shields, and hinder enemy Pokemon with debuffs and slows.
- A word used to describe Pokemon with naturally high health and defence stats.
- Another term for Unite Move.
- A legendary lightning bird Pokemon that spawns in the middle of Pokemon Unite’s Remoat map.