Super Smash Bros. Ultimate director Masahiro Sakurai announced today that Byleth from Fire Emblem: Three Houses will be the next DLC character to join the roster.
Hailing from Fire Emblem’s recent Switch installment, Byleth is the main protagonist of Three Houses, working as a professor at a military school.
In Fire Emblem, you can choose Byleth’s gender, so both male and female versions of the character will be added to SSBU.
Sakurai described him/her as a low-mobility, long-range character, using weaponry to zone out their opponents.
Byleth’s main arsenal is the Hero’s Relic, a weapon that changes depending on the direction you input:
- Upward: Sword of the Creator
- Responsible for flurry attacks and tilt attacks
- Its down-tilt works like a whip
- Its up-special has a special pull-in mechanic
- Side: Areadbhar
- The perfect weapon to check opponents due to its range.
- The tip deals more damage than the staff.
- Downward: Aymr
- The heavier weapon of the bunch
- Has an armor effect when charging
- Weak against grabs and counters/parries
- Neutral: Failnought
- A bow that can shoot charged, smashing arrows
- Has a neutral-air similar to Pit’s
Byleth will also be getting his/her own Garreg Mach Monastery stage.
The Garreg Mach Monastery cycles through four different locations: the Cathedral, Bridge, Reception Hall, and Marketplace.
Each location has its own features. For example, the Cathedral has platforms, while the Reception Hall has falling chandeliers.
Players will also get a new set of eleven soundtracks from the Fire Emblem franchise and a whole new Spirit Board, featuring the house leaders and other popular characters from Three Houses.
Byleth will be available in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate to Fighter’s Pass owners on January 28.
You can check out the full reveal down below: