One small nerf to an item, one large change to tanks.
League of Legends patch 11.2 may not have directly nerfed the tank champion pool, but it certainly did affect them across the board.
Sunfire Aegis was introduced in preseason 2021 to replace a very underutilized Sunfire Cape. Besides granting Immolate, which stacks tick damage, the reason why it made tanks incredibly strong in the preseason was due to its Mythic passive — empowers other Legendary items with five ability haste.
The extra ability haste meant that tanks were casting their spells faster than some mages. Despite not building damage, they were tanky enough to withstand blows whilst having multiple spell casts on top of Immolate. Instead of you killing them, tanks killed you.
However, that’s not going to happen anymore.
- Mythic passive: 5 ability haste per Legendary item removed. Now grants 5% tenacity and slow resist per Legendary item instead.
Riot didn’t just nerf Sunfire Aegis, they’ve gutted it by completely replacing its Mythic passive. Instead of ability haste, it now grants tenacity and slow resist which isn’t as valuable.
Interestingly, Riot swapped this Mythic passive with Turbo Chemtank, the newest, hottest tank item in the market.
- Total cost reduced from 3200 gold to 2800 gold
- Build path adjusted from [Bami’s Cinder + Cloth Armor + Negatron Cloak + 900 gold] to [Bami’s Cinder + Cloth Armor + Null-Magic Mantle + 950 gold]
- Magic resist reduced from 50 to 25
- Ability Haste increased from 15 to 20
- Mythic passive: 5% tenacity and slow resist per Legendary item removed. Now grants 5 ability haste per Legendary item.
Even though it doesn’t grant as much magic resist as before, it’s now 400 gold cheaper, grants flat 20 ability haste, and, hey, hey, hey, gives you 5 ability haste per Legendary item.
Built primarily on Rammus to initiate with supercharged speed, other tanks could likewise benefit from the added boost on top of that sweet ability haste. So if you’re playing a tank on patch 11.2, instead of brainlessly buying Sunfire Aegis, it’s time to start purchasing Turbo Chemtank.
Click to read the full patch 11.2 patch notes.