Blitzcrank is the most unique support champion in League of Legends, the only one who can grab a single target into melee range. Now, he’s about to extend his reach in patch 12.19.
Riot Games buffed 16 champions this update and gave our trusty robot a mini rework. Instead of being imprisoned in the support role, the game developers are finally changing things up, making him more versatile in other lanes.
“Fun fact, Blitzcrank was initially designed as a fighter champion!” they wrote in the patch notes, and are taking this direction while keeping his primary support playstyle intact.
Overall, Riot buffed his attack speed and added increased scaling to all his abilities, which might give him a better chance in the jungle, top lane, in the AD carry role in bot lane with an enchanter or fasting Senna, or even mid lane.
Blitzcrank buffs in League of Legends patch 12.19 turns him into a fighter champion capable of holding his own
- Base Attack Speed increased from 0.625 to 0.65
- Attack Speed Ratio increased from 0.625 to 0.7
W – Overdrive
- Mana Cost increased from 75 to 85
- Bonus Attack Speed increased from 30/38/46/54/62% to 40/53/66/79/92%
- (New) Magical Punch: Attacks during W deal an additional 1% of target’s maximum HP in magic damage. Against non-champions, this damage is increased by an extra 60-180 (based on level) damage.
E – Power Fist
- Mana Cost increased from 25 to 40
- Knock Up Duration increased from 0.9 seconds to 1 second
- Empowered Auto Attack Damage increased from 200% total AD to 200% total AD (+ 25% AP)
- (New) No One is Safe: Against non-champions — Blitzcrank’s E empowered auto attacks will deal a bonus 150% total AD (+125% AP) damage
R – Static Field
- Maximum Stacks from Passive increased from 3 to unlimited
- Magic Damage from Stacks On-Hit increased from 50/100/150 (+30% AP) to 50/100/150 (+30/40/50% AP)
Not only did Riot buff his base attack speed, they also boosted his attack speed ratio and bonus attack speed from Overdrive (W). At max rank, it gives a whopping 92% bonus, 30% more than previous patches, which is a huge buff.
On top of that, to make him more relevant in the post-Durability Update meta, Riot added a new scaling bonus that deals percentage damage based on the target’s maximum HP. Against non-champions, the damage is amplified, which helps with clearing neutral creeps or minions in lane. All this comes at the cost of only 10 extra mana.
Power Fist (E) and Static Field (R) were given additional AP scaling damage, which makes a case for building Guinsoo’s Rageblade on Blitzcrank.
“I love what Riot’s doing. I love when they do this,” League of Legends analyst and content creator Nick “LS” De Cesare said in his patch rundown. “This I would essentially classify as a rework — an alternate lane rework — because he’s going to get access to a playstyle and items that he never had before.”
Read the full LoL patch 12.19 notes here.