Season 2 of the McLaren Shadow Project has just wrapped up its three-week online qualifiers. Now the stage is being set for a thrilling regional grand final, slated for September 19 in Singapore.
McLaren Shadow Project, working with the Singapore Tourism Board and MET Events, launched its “Race to Singapore” campaign on August 12. An online Time Trial-based qualifier was opened to gamers based in Asia and the Pacific until August 30.
Competitive sim racers, Formula 1 enthusiasts, and casual fans all had equal opportunity to participate. Using F1 2019 on PlayStation 4, players only had to race on the Marina Bay Street Circuit using the McLaren MCL34 F1 car and submit a photo of their fastest lap timing to join the competition.
- Rivals Max Verstappen and Lando Norris have teamed up to win iRacing’s 24 Hours of Spa
- 2019 F1 New Balance Esports Series Pro Draft has attracted 109,000 sign-ups
The eight best racers from the following designated regions will compete in clustered Time-Trial qualifiers and regional finals to narrow down the playing field:
- Korea — online finals on August 31
- Japan — online finals on September 1
- Australia and New Zealand — online finals on September 7
- Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau — online finals on September 8
- Singapore — online finals on September 14
Each regional champ will earn a seat to the Race to Singapore grand finals on September 19 — a day before the 2019 Singapore Grand Prix kicks off. They will be joined by the top two racers from the open qualifiers that are based elsewhere in the Asia-Pacific region.
The champion of the inaugural Race to Singapore will then be invited to the McLaren Technology Centre in Woking, UK to compete at the McLaren Shadow Project grand finals in December.
Up for grabs for the ultimate Season 2 winner are a seat in the McLaren F1 esports team and development program, tickets to F1 races, exclusive behind-the-scenes access to McLaren Racing, and gaming and sim racing kits.