From broken, to overpowered, to nerfed. The mid lane celestial dragon, Aurelion Sol, made headlines upon release as one of the best mages in the game due to his base stats and items that favored him. Wild Rift patch 2.1b is here to change that.
His core item, Liandry’s Torment, fueled his damage overtime. Last patch 2.1a, its Ability Power was already reduced from 90 to 70, while its combined cost was increased from 800 gold to 950 gold.
However, Riot recognized that it wasn’t enough. Their intention is to “tune down to his mid-game strength to be more in line with other champions.”
Passive – Center of the Universe
- Star base damage reduced from 18/26/34/42/50/58/66/74/82/90/98/106/114/122/130 to 15/21/27/33/40/47/54/61/70/79/88/97/108/119/130
Second ability – Celestial Expansion
- Base damage adjusted from 25/35/45/55/65/75/85/95/105/115/125/135/145/165 to 25/32/39/46/54/62/70/78/89/100/111/122/138/154/170
Ultimate – Voice of Light
- Cooldown increased from 65/55/45s to 80/65/50s
- AP per stack decreased from 4 to 12 (based on champ level) to 3 to 9 (based on champ level)
- Maximum stack Adaptive Damage bonus decreased from 10% on ranged champions to 7% on ranged champions
Note that Celstial Expansion’s damage was nerfed exponentially, losing three damage points early, up to 15. Besides that, his ultimate’s increased cooldown reduction will definitely be felt, as it has almost a one and a half minute cooldown at level one.
Together with the nerf to keystone Conqueror, especially on ranged champions, Aurelion Sol has been toned down. Based on Riot’s data, they concluded that Conqueror is super overperforming on ranged AP champions, who were running this keystone as the sole optimal one.
By late game however, Aurelion Sol’s power would not be as drastically different pre-patch. Are these changes enough to keep him in-check?
Read the full patch 2.1b patch notes here.