Mobile Legends: Bang Bang’s first two-in-one hero, Popol is a marksman from Iceland who relies on his four-legged best friend, Kupa, to be effective.
If you ever wanted to know what’s it like to take care of a pet, try your hand at Popol and Kupa to discover the true meaning of companionship.
Passive – We Are Friends
Popol always fights side by side with his best partner, Kupa. Popol takes good care of Kupa. If Kupa has not taken any damage in 5 seconds, 10% of its max HP will be restored every second.
When Kupa is down, Popol can pray for 3 seconds to summon it back to the battlefield with a cooldown of 45 seconds.
After 4 consecutive attacks by Kupa on an enemy, the next basic attack of Popol will deal (+200% Total Physical ATK) extra Physical Damage; Kupa receives 100% of Popol’s Max HP and 100% of other attributes, as well as his equipment effects (except those of the active, jungling and roaming gears).
- Remember, as lifelong partners, Kupa is essential to Popol’s damage output. Without Kupa, Popol is less than half the marksmen he is designed to be.
- You can only control Popol; you cannot control Kupa as an individual unit. Kupa moves based on the spells you cast.
- Care for your companion! It’s important to constantly keep an eye on Kupa’s health.
- Summoning Kupa is a channel that locks you in place for three seconds, so find a safe spot to pray.
- Similar to Aurora, the indicator below your HP bar tells your number of stacked auto attacks. Use your empowered attack on an important target.
Bite ‘Em, Kupa
Popol throws a spear at the target for 40 / 70 / 100 / 130 (+100% Total Physical ATK) Physical Damage and orders Kupa to bite them, dealing 240 / 270 / 300 / 330 (+60% Total Physical ATK) Physical Damage and following up with attacks for 3 seconds.
Alpha Wolf Form: Kupa strikes ferociously, stunning the target for 1 seconds with 3 rapid bites.
- This is your bread and butter, and most of the damage comes from Kupa whose base damage numbers exceeds more than 100% of your auto attack.
- In Alpha Wolf Form, it gets even better. With three rapid bites, he is your one true source of burst damage.
Popol summons Kupa to protect him, gaining a Shield equal to 240 / 270 / 300 / 330 (+120% Extra Physical Attack) HP, dealing 240 / 270 / 300 / 330 (+50% Total Physical Attack) Physical Damage to the nearby enemies and slowing them by 60% for 0.5 second. Kupa will assist Popol in attacking nearby enemies for 3 seconds.
Alpha Wolf Form: Kupa darts back to protect its master and knocks nearby enemies Airborne for 0.6 seconds, dealing 150% increased damage.
- As a marksman without repositioning abilities, Help! is your go-to spell when a melee hero or assassin jumps on you.
- Because you can’t control Kupa as a unit, you can use Help! to draw him out of battle if you want to preserve his life. Otherwise, you can also walk out of range, which will automatically cause him to run back to you.
Popol sets a trap at the target location, which will detonate after a short delay when an enemy is near, immobilizing them for 1 second and creating a frost zone for 4 seconds, reducing their movement speed by 35%. Popol can store up to 3 traps at a time and gains 1 charge per 18 / 16 / 14 / 12 seconds. Up to 3 traps can be set, each lasting 60 seconds.
- This is Popol and Kupa’s most underrated ability that sets apart skilled and highly skilled players. Use it preemptively to set yourself up for success, and in the middle of team fights.
- Like Selena’s Abyssal Trap, Surprise gives vision of enemies who step on them anywhere on the map.
- A second lifesaver spell, Surprise is especially useful when Kupa perishes and you need to peel for yourself. Place one beside you if you’re running away, and one ahead of the enemy if you’re chasing for a kill.
- Always keep a trap under your turret to deter tower dives.
- Set up traps at choke points when your team is focused on an objective to prevent enemies from funneling in.
We Are Angry!
Popol and Kupa both become enraged for 12 seconds: Popol and Kupa gain 30% / 40% / 50% attack speed and 15% movement speed. Kupa enters Alpha Wolf Form, restoring full HP, increasing its Max HP by 2000 / 3000 / 4000 and physical attack by 35, and enhancing its other skills.
- The moment you activate his ultimate, Kupa restores full HP, so maximize this by using We Are Angry! in the middle of a battle after taking some hits.
- The extra movement speed helps you kite even better, and can also be used to help you run away from sticky situations.
Tips and tricks
Since Popol and Kupa do not have repositioning abilities, Flicker is a good battle spell to run, especially when you’re just starting out.
Build wise, you’ll benefit from attack speed, which increases your chance to proc Popol’s empowered attack. Core items include Demon Hunter Sword, Windtalker and Wind of Nature.
For Emblems, Marksman works great, for you can run Weakness Finder or Electro Flash which increases your attack speed, slows down the enemy’s movement speed or increases your own movement speed – all of which help Popol and Kupa kite better.
Lastly, remember to treat Kupa well. Acting like your personal support, he can tank buffs, including Lord, so that you can down them easily while taking minimal damage. What a good boy!