Facebook Gaming has just launched Tournaments, a new feature that lets users start or join an existing online gaming tournament.
It covers the basics of tournament management, from registration, seeding, brackets, and even down to the scoring. Facebook Gaming Tournaments is open for everyone to use and can be tied to creators’ live streams as well.
Tournaments currently support three formats: single elimination, double elimination, and round-robin.
All three can either be used for singles or teams. The developers are planning to roll out support for the non-elimination Swiss format soon.
To create a tournament, all organizers need do is:
- Log in to Facebook.
- Head over to the Gaming Video section and select the Tournaments tab.
- Click “Create Tournament,” then “Add Tournament.”
- Fill the required details such as the game, schedule, and format.
- After adding a tournament, fill the required details for the Tournament event.
- Click “Create Tournament Event” to finish.
Multiple individual games can be linked to Tournament Events to create one big event.
This early access feature is Facebook Gaming’s response to #PlayApartTogether, a campaign that promotes physical distancing with the help of games. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Tournaments feature can be utilized to support important causes like online charity competitions.